Thursday, March 12, 2009

Stepping Stones

Intimacy is what makes a marriage, not a ceremony, not a piece of paper from the state.

Kathleen Morris

I've been making a lot of decisions lately. Some big, some small. Mostly, I've been leaf-turning. Angelica's here, this is who she is. She thinks with her own mind and makes steps with her own feet. Yes, other people are important to her, but what she thinks and cares about is what's really important.

Marriage means different things to everybody. Sometimes I think I'd be happy never getting married. Sometimes, I really want that "piece of a paper from the state." But, once your heart is married, does the rest of it really matter?

There's a rap song, or some song that goes "If you like then you shoulda put a ring on it, ring on it," and I think that's silly. Rings aren't necessary. Extra promises are too easily broken. If they're not needed, why make them? Why go to the cost and the trouble just to show off your love? I'm happy keeping mine to myself, thanks anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment